November 7, 2012 8:56 AM

India – Day 1

After roughly two hours of sleep I awoke this morning to the sound of honking from the street. I walked outside to observe. And I thought the traffic last night was crazy! Buses, cars, motorbikes, bicycles, and people were everywhere! My dad and I went to breakfast in a little restaurant next door to our hotel. My eggs and toast did not taste exactly like home but it was pretty good. I got a cup of coffee. I must say, I do miss my American java. It was instant coffee mixed with steamed milk and sugar. It was pretty good as well but I could not drink it every day.

After breakfast we met with Ezra about the week’s itinerary and took care of some financial arrangements. After this I had time for two extra hours of sleep before we left for Gundar. We packed our bags and left at 3:00 p.m. It was a three-hour drive north in the rain. We arrived at our hotel (if you can call it that) and dropped off our bags. We then left for a small village to attend a church service. It was another half an hour drive outside of Gundar.

I do not know how to describe the reception we received other than to say that it was humbling. All of the area preachers and other men from the area met our vehicle in the street. When we stepped out of the car they began playing drums and tambourines. They sang and danced while we walked to the church building. They had a banner printed with our names on it. They marched us to the front of the church building where we all sat. They presented us with garlands made of flowers and shawls. Many pictures were taken. The people were fascinated by these strangers from a place they have little chance to ever see. Most of the children just sat and stared wide-eyed. Once you gave them a smile or a wink their faces would light up and they would smile and look away.

Preaching was very interesting. Everything we said had to be translated and then translated again into a different dialect. The message was received very well. At the end of the service many people accepted Christ. We walked half a mile down a dark road to the river and baptized twenty-six people. I wish people in America would respond to the gospel with such readiness and enthusiasm.

After everything was over we said our goodbyes and headed back to our hotel rooms. It was about 10:30 p.m. As we were about to leave we noticed that we had a flat tire. It was too late to get it fixed so we had to call another taxi to come get us. After about two hours the taxi arrived. We made it back to our hotel rooms only to find out the owner locked us out. I guess he figured no one in their right mind would be out that late. So there we were, in the middle of an Indian village, wondering what we were going to do. Fortunately we were finally able to wake the owner who let us in.

In bed at 2:00 a.m. We are scheduled to be at a church service at 8:00 a.m. so very little sleep tonight!


Comments are closed.